Go BIG or go home

Posted: Thursday, January 6, 2011 by Michael Elkins in
0

As the new Year has started I have started to assess which BIG projects I want to tackle this year.  I don't just want to take a shot in the dark, but I want to do something BIG with my life.  So I thought to myself, "I should find an example in the Bible of somebody who decided to do something BIG."  Aas I began to think there were many stories I could have went to, Dave and Goliath, Noah building an Ark, Moses leading the people out of Egypt, or Esther saving her people, but for some reason my thoughts rested on Nehemiah.  The story has the same type of set up:  Nehemiah was pretty much a nobody in social circles and he ends up saving his people and rebuilding their city wall and everything they once had....a life.  What I wanted to do was begin to outline this story.  I mean, what really went on, what can I learn from it, and why should it matter to me.  However, I wanted to keep it brief and to the point.  Sa far this is what I have come up with:

1.  Nehemiah 1:  Repentance
          --  Nehemiah starts off with saying, "God, we are wicked, we have sinned against you, please forgive us"  When you tackle a big project do you go to God and just say, "God I am sorry for the dumb things I do...forgive me please"  SO, when I tackle my BIG things this year I want to make sure I do this!

2.  Nehemiah 2:  Faith leap & Mockery
          --  After getting things right with God Nehemiah took a huge leap.  He was "sad around the king".  In these days if you were a servant of the thing you were not allowed to appear sad in front of the king.  He did want want to be effected by other people's foul moods.  If you were caught being sad in front of the king He could have you killed.  However, Nehemiah was so upset about the injustice of his people he couldn't help it.  The king asked him what was wrong and nehemiah had a decision to make.  A) Lie to the king, say everything was fine and go on with life as normal, or B) be honest, tell the king what was really bothering him, and see where it goes.  Lucky for him, and us, he chose B.  Just think, in that small moment of decision he set his future.  How many small moments do we take the easy road instead of the tougher road, which, in reality, could change the course of our life forever.  Next, came the mockery.  With every crazy decision we make there will always be the mocker.  Nehemiah had people mocking him all the way through his BIG project.  When we decide to tackle something BIG there will be people that mock you, think you are dumb, or think you are crazy.  As tough as it is, we just have to keep going.

3.  Nehemiah 3:  Perfume Maker and Girls
          --  Now, this is the part that nobody likes:  Hard work!  This entire chapter is simply describing people as they bust their butts and work hard.  Nobody was exempt either.  Even the perfume maker and the girls were helping to rebuild this city wall.  I think a lot of us get a BIG dream, then we see how much hard work it will take and we say, "Eh....i will do that another time."  If we want to accomplish BIG things it requires BIG work.

Nehemiah 4:  Obstacles & Fatigue
          --  Here we see obstacles coming up.  Those outsiders who mocked Nehemiah saw that he was actually going to do what he set out to do and wanted to stop him.  So, they planned an attack.  However, Nehemiah was not going to let that stop him.  So he had every work also become a fighter or a guard.  As some worked with one hand they had to hold a sword in the other hand.  One guy worked while he carried his trumpet in case an attack came so he could blow his trumpet.  Needless to say people grew tired.  Some were working by day and guarding at night, there were a group that hadn't even changed their clothes because they wanted to keep their sword on them at all times.  They grew weary.  As you work hard to accomplish your BIG dream, you might get tired....and thats normal.  Even though you may take a momentary rest here or there, we need to keep on task of living the dream.

Nehemiah 5:  Trouble & Love
          -  At this point there was not only opposition from outsiders, but there was opposition from within.  This is when it gets really tough, because, the people you think are there to support your BIG dream, the ones you think have your back, may in the end oppose you and what you are trying to do.  One thing I notice though is Nehemiah doesn't just avoid them, or tell them to leave, but, he addresses the issues and they move on.  he treats the people with love.  You see there were a group of people that were loaning money with interest and also making people pay with land, food, and wine.  Nehemiah basically said, "Guys, we are on the same team here.  Lets loan the money, but loan it without interest.  Can you give back the interest charged as well as the land, livestock and wine?" so...they did.  You see, Nehemiah loved his people.  in fact, he had every right to do like other leaders and make them pay him some money, a lot fo money.  Other leaders would lord over people and have them pay them a lot of money, livestock, etc...however, nehemiah didn't require it.  People gave to him out of love for him, because he loved them.  There is a saying that says, "It is easier to attract bees with honey than with vinegar"  Nehemiah loved his people and in return they loved him.  Do you love the people you are trying to accomplish great things with?

I know this is long and I apologize, but I wanted to get this down.  I will continue it as I read the rest of Nehemiah and I hope it helps.  So far it has revealed a lot of things ot me about projects and leadership!

0 comments: