It's the small things

Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 by Michael Elkins in
0


Well, I stil have to blog about our Haiti trip but I'm not sure what I want to write yet.  So, I thought I would share this.  I was at McDonalds last night to scoop up some nuggets and something interesting happened.  I was in line behind a guy, in his late 30's probably, and he hada little boy with him, about 10 or so.  There was a new guy working, about the age of 16 or so, and you could tell he was frazzled and confused.  In the midst of rushing around and getting the delicious fries ready he passed the the man's change to him that was due.  I watched as the man looked down, looked up, and looked down again.  I could tell by his actions he had been given way to much change.  Now, a lot of times people will simply not say anything and put it in their pocket and walk away.  I have even heard people say, "You know that is their penalty for not doing their job correctly."  Wow.  People mess up.  If i had a penalty every time I messed up at my job that would suck.  So as I watched this guy I was curious what he would do.  Once the worker came back the guy got his attention and said, "Excuse me, I think you gave me too much change."  Well at this time the manager was close by and I don't think the worker wanted to get in trouble so he responded, "I don't think I did."  At this point the guy simply did the math for the new employee and restated, "To be exact you gave me $10 too much in change", and finally persuaded the employee to take it back.  The employee just stoof there, for what seemed forever due to the lack of nuggets I had, and looked shocked.  Why is it we are surprised when people do the right thing?  I wish i had an answer for this, but I dont.  All I know is that it made my day to see it happen.  I remember seeing my dad do things like this as a kid and it has effected who I am today.  I couldn't help but think that this little guy seeing his dad do this will effect who he is as a person.  The dad never said to the boy, "See there son.  I did the right thing."  He just simply did it like it was something he would do all the time.  I just thought it was cool!

0 comments: