Why CrossFit works....for me.

Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 by Michael Elkins in
0


So it was about 2 months ago that I posted my initial thoughts on CrossFit.  At that point I was two months into it and as I write today I am about 4 months into it.  This is by far the longest I have ever stuck with any fitness program.  I was thinking about why that is.  Why have I had such a hard time committing to doing something that I knew was good for me and was also good for my family?  I have realized it has truly come down to two things:

1)  I have had a change of mind.  I think about fitness differently than I ever have.  I now just view it as something I need to get into my schedule almost everyday.  It is one of my most important meetings of my day.  There are very rare occasions when I will let something interfere with that scheduled appointment to work out.  And if it does...I will reschedule it for some time later that day.  I would say in the 4 months I have been doing this that has maybe happened twice.  It is weird because now I could not imagine my life without CrossFit.  I feel like I have a healthier view of myself and of fitness in general.

2)  Community.  Community.  Community.  People talk about CrossFit like it is a cult, which it may borderline that very easily :)  However, I truly believe that this is why CrossFit is so widely popular.  People, in general, want to belong.  They want to be accepted where they are and be lead, guided, and pushed to new levels in life.  CrossFit simply does this in the fitness realm.  It doesn't matter what fitness level you are at; their is a place for you in CrossFit.  Once there, you will be encouraged and pushed to take your fitness to the next level.  I know when I don't show up there will be people who want to know where I was.  They will text, call, or Facebook me to ask where I was.  I feel like I am part of a "functioning system" and that I am needed for this system to work.  I hate feeling like I am letting my "team" down.  You also feel like as a group, you go through the same struggles together.  It doesn't matter if you are back squatting 400 lbs or 120 lbs...you know the struggle they are going through and they know what you are experiencing.  You have each others best interest at heart and want to see them succeed!

The Numbers:
-  4 months of CrossFit
-  Started at 250 lbs, and now fluctuating between 227-230lbs (Down roughly 20lbs.)
-  Was fitting snuggly in 38 pants and now comfortably wearing 36's
-  My strength has increased like crazy.  Ive added 100 lbs on a couple of different lifts that we do.  I can actually do some of the movements that I couldn't even do when I first started.
-  My cardio has gotten way better than it was before.
-  Energy is increased (until about 9:30pm than I have to crash!)
-  My oldest loves doing CrossFit movements with me so that has been a lot of fun


0 comments: